About us

Culver City Flute Choir is composed of adult amateur flutists. The conductor, Patty Sikorski, is a freelance musician and private teacher in Culver City, and she has been leading the flute choir for more than twenty years. Culver City is located near Los Angeles, California.

For information about the flute choir or to find out how to contact Patty Sikorski for booking or private lessons, please send an email to CCFC.Info@gmail.com.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Flute convention stuff

I can't go to the flute convention this year, but I've been reviewing the NFA's schedule of events this year, and as if I were going, making a list of the things that I would like to see and do.

If you're interested in what interests me, here you go.

(The way this works when I actually go to the convention: I make a list of the things I definitely want to do; then, once I'm there, I work in whatever else fits in between. Usually that means going down to the exhibits and playing all the Powell piccolos, or slipping into a concert I didn't intend to attend, where I usually hear something totally unexpected and amazing. So many wonderful flutists to hear!)

Thursday, August 9: 12:30-1:30 p.m.
An American Voice: A Robert Muczynski Retrospective

I'm on a huge Muczynski kick right now, and right now this is the one thing I am really sorry to be missing! Phillip Dikeman will be performing, and he's just awesome.

Thursday, August 9: 8-10 p.m.
Gala Concert

I haven't seen the program of what will be performed, but my crush from about 5 or 6 years ago, Ian Clarke (whenever the flute convention was in San Diego) is performing, and I just love him. I'm sure he'll perform something new, but maybe you'll get to hear him do his piece "Hypnosis," which is totally beautiful. Google it; I saw Darrin Thaves perform it on YouTube the other night. He killed it.

Friday, August 10: 2:30-3:50 p.m.
Remembrance and Healing Concert

At first glance, this looked a little corny to me, but then I saw that (speaking of Darrin Thaves) Darrin Thaves would be performing. As I said above, I just saw him on YouTube the other night, and I was sooo impressed. He plays the way I would like to play: very clean, very clear, very beautiful. I wouldn't miss an opportunity to hear him. He teaches at Cal State Long Beach, and I would love to study with him if I had the time. I don't have the time. Hopefully when he comes back to Long Beach, he'll have some concerts I can go to around town.

Friday, August 10: 5-6 p.m.
Gems for Flute

Faure, Doppler, Hindemith... who wouldn't want to hear these guys performed? Also, Robert Dick will be performing, and he's fun.

Friday, August 10: 8-10 p.m.
Gala Concert

I'm really not familiar with anybody on the program, but you never ever miss the Gala Concert at the convention. It sounds fun, too, with flute + percussion. What flutist could pass that up?

Saturday, August 11: 9-10:20 a.m.
Pastiche: A Chamber Recital

(Just a note: "Pastiche"? Really, NFA?) This is a recital showcasing flute + other instruments, and could be fun. I don't know what the program is, but I would probably pop in and check it out.

Saturday, August 11: 12:30-1:50 p.m.
Showcase III: World Chamber Concert

This just looks fun. Piccolo as soloist with a chamber ensemble? YES please.

Saturday, August 11: 1-1:50 p.m.
Flutes, Loops and Laptops

This is one of those times where you pop in and pop out. I would leave the Showcase above in order to get to this one. Greg Patillo! And the whole laptop thing interests me. I'd like to find out more about using loops and a computer for practicing, and maybe even performances.

Saturday, August 11: 2:30-4:00 p.m.
The Grand Tour

Mimi Stillman is one of the performers, and she's just amazing. I've got past flute conventions to thank for allowing me to hear her play: she's world class. Beautiful, too.

Saturday, August 11: 3:00-4:00 p.m.
The Golden Age of the Flute and Harp

I don't get enough opportunities to hear a harp. I would be curious about this.

Saturday, August 11: 7:00-7:45 p.m.
Evening Lobby Concert III

Ellen Burr and the Los Angeles Flute Orchestra!!!!

Saturday, August 11: 8:00-10:00 p.m.
Concerto Gala

Walfrid Kujala! Alexa Still! Seriously, don't miss it.

Saturday, August 11: 10:30-11:30 p.m.
Saturday Late Nite: 21st Century Guide to Flute and Guitar

Agnew-McAllister Duo, from Scotland. I saw them perform in Long Beach, and they are a wonderful duo! They rarely come to America, and I was really lucky to see them. I have no idea if they are a couple (nor does it matter) but they play with a romantic feel, and they're so talented. I usually wimp out and go to bed after the gala concerts (Patty is always so disappointed in me!) but I'd stay up for these guys.

Sunday, August 12: 9:00-10:20 a.m.
Flute and Friends

I'll admit it: by Sunday morning, I'm usually starting to get tired. The convention is fun but there's so much to do and hear! This sounds like a fun concert but it's a little early... I'd probably be disappointed to miss it but I might choose to sleep in. Sorry!

Sunday, August 12: 9:00-10:00 a.m.
Introduction to Beatbox Flute with Greg Patillo

On the other hand, while I'm pretty sure I don't want to beatbox, I would still love to see and hear this guy one more time!

Sunday, August 12: 10:00-11:00 a.m.
Professional Flute Choir Concert

Another opportunity to hear Darrin Thaves, in a group this time.

Sunday, August 12: 10:30-11:50 a.m.
Showcase IV: Kaleidoscope

Seriously, NFA, these names are silly. But! Catherine Ransom from the Los Angeles Philharmonic!

Sunday, August 12: 12:30-1:25 p.m.
Lobby Concert IV

Featuring the Pacific Flute Ensemble, the Long Beach based flute choir conducted by Darrin Thaves. These flutists are really, really good. Check them out on YouTube. Culver City Flute Choir members: they play in tune ALL THE TIME. Something to think about.

Sunday, August 12: 2:00-3:00 p.m.
Piccolo All Stars: Top 40

Sarah Jackson, Sarah Jackson, Sarah Jackson. Love her.

I'd definitely go to the closing ceremony! Not even going to write it down, it's a given.

Anyway, these are just the things that would interest me. I'm sure I'd find myself changing it up and doing things I hadn't intended to, and hearing stuff I wasn't familiar with. It's such a great experience. To all of you going, have fun! If you're a CCFC member, email me your photos and any interesting items you pick up. I know you'll be busy but it would be so worth it to the other flute choir members!

No comments:

Post a Comment