About us

Culver City Flute Choir is composed of adult amateur flutists. The conductor, Patty Sikorski, is a freelance musician and private teacher in Culver City, and she has been leading the flute choir for more than twenty years. Culver City is located near Los Angeles, California.

For information about the flute choir or to find out how to contact Patty Sikorski for booking or private lessons, please send an email to CCFC.Info@gmail.com.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Meet the flute choir: Carol

I've asked flute choir members to answer a few questions about themselves, so that our readers could get to know us a little better. Please allow me to introduce: Carol.

When and why did you start playing the flute?
I started playing the flute when I was nine or ten years old. I heard an orchestra somewhere and loved the high, clear sound of the flute. Also, my cousin was starting the flute too, so we shared teachers and bought our flutes together.

When did you join the flute choir? Why?
I joined the flute choir because as a Culver City resident, people had mentioned the group to me from time to time, and I was very curious about it. In my mind, I got the idea that it was about 100 flutes all playing the same exact melody all at once. I obviously had no idea what a flute choir was. One of the fellow parents in my son's Boy Scout troop was in the flute choir, and he encouraged me to join. 

Have you played in any other flute choirs or ensembles? Where else do (have) you perform(ed)?
Before joining the flute choir, I last performed 45 years ago with the North Hollywood High School advanced orchestra playing "South Pacific." 

Do you play any other instruments?
I played the piano until I was 17 years old, but wanted to quit when I was 15. I kept missing the right keys. Thank goodness your fingers stay over the same keys on the flute.

What are your other hobbies or interests? Is there any intersection between those things and music? 
My other main hobby is art. I started taking art lessons at the same time that I restarted my flute playing. I guess the main intersection is that they are both creative outlets. 

Describe your family's musical interests and abilities. Does this inspire you?
When I was growing up, my mother played the piano, and my brother played the piano, violin, and French horn. I heard lots of classical music on the "hi fi." There was never any question that I would take music lessons.

Who is your biggest fan?
Ooh, my biggest fans: although my husband has faithfully attended every flute choir concert, I'll say that my biggest fans are my two fellow flute choir members that I play trios with every week just for fun. We give each other a lot of encouragement and support. 

Which famous musicians do you admire (doesn't have to be just flutists!)? Why?
As far as famous musicians, I mostly know singers and would probably list the Beatles and Barbra Streisand as ones that I greatly admire, among many others. I listen to classical music sometimes, but I don't necessarily pay attention to which orchestra or soloist is playing.

What was/is your favorite piece to perform? To listen to?
While I don't have any favorite piece that I perform, I love listening to Beethoven symphonies and anything by Chopin. 

Who was your first teacher? Other teachers?
My first teacher was named Libby and she must have been all of 25 years old. My second teacher was much more rigorous and played along with me as I played. He was a wonderful flutist and I think his name was Mr. Atkinson or something like that. He was very much into modern music. 

What are your fondest musical memories?
My fondest flute playing memories are of playing in my high school orchestra because of all the camaraderie. It was great fun to play the big musicals along with all the singers and performers in the auditorium. Also I felt cool carrying my flute to school.

Do you get nervous during a performance? How do you handle mistakes?
I do get a little nervous during flute choir performances, although I have no earthly reason why. I guess I don't want to let the other flute choir members down by playing wrong notes and making the piece sound bad. Ooh, the pressure! When I make a mistake, I just ignore it and keep going. Usually when I listen to the CD of our performance I can't even hear the mistake. 

What do you practice? How often?
I practice an hour a day, five days a week. I didn't take my flute out of it's case for 30 years - not until I retired from work and my two children were in high school. I'm still pretty busy but five hours a day is manageable. 

What advice would you give new flutists?
My advice to new flute plays would be, of course, to take private lessons and to practice. Then find a place to play with others - duets, trios, a chamber group, something. If after several years it is not your instrument, then move on to something else!

What advice would you give new flute choir members?
For new flute choir members, just come and have fun. You do have to practice unless you are really a fantastic player [Editor: Fantastic Players? You gotta practice, too.]. If you are rusty, keep at it because it comes back pretty fast. And, oh yeah, try and buy a new flute if you are still playing the student flute your parents bought you in elementary school. (But, don't buy your new flute until you come to flute choir and then we will give you lots of advice.)




No comments:

Post a Comment