About us

Culver City Flute Choir is composed of adult amateur flutists. The conductor, Patty Sikorski, is a freelance musician and private teacher in Culver City, and she has been leading the flute choir for more than twenty years. Culver City is located near Los Angeles, California.

For information about the flute choir or to find out how to contact Patty Sikorski for booking or private lessons, please send an email to CCFC.Info@gmail.com.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Meet the flute choir: Michael

When and why did you start playing the flute?
I started playing the flute in the 4th grade; it seemed "everyone" else was doing so when the opportunity to take up an orchestral instrument was offered in elementary school (Baldwin Hills).

When did you join the flute choir? Why?
I joined the Culver City Flute Choir for the Fall Quarter 1992. (51 consecutive concerts since then; my records show that you Irene are the runner up at 50 consecutive concerts.)

[Note from Irene: WOW, Michael! That's a lot of concerts!]

I joined the flute choir as other members have - I received the Culver City Adult School schedule/brochure from one of the community mailings, and thought this would be a good outlet to continue playing the flute.

Have you played in any other flute choirs or ensembles? Where else do (have) you perform(ed)?
As a youth, I participated in the Angels (youth) group of the Japanese Philharmonic Orchestra of Los Angeles (early 1970s, conductor was Akira Kikukawa). I currently provide accompaniment (solo or with piano) for the congregational singing at my church every Sunday.

Do you play any other instruments?
Besides the C flute and the Alto flute, I do not play any other instruments (I can tinker on the piano, harmonica, recorder/tin whistle). I would love to learn to play the guitar and/or ukulele, and maybe even bagpipes!

Is your family musical?
My family is not musical at this time. One of my brothers took up the trumpet in elementary school/junior high for a couple of years. Likewise, another brother took up the flute (my flute) while I was away at college.

Describe your family's musical interests and abilities.
Besides the anbove, there are no musical abilities in my family.

Who is your biggest fan?
I would have to say my biggest fan is one of my fellow church members who attends most of our concerts.

Which famous musicians do you admire (doesn't have to just be flutists!)? Why?
I admire Christopher Parkening, Harvey Pittel, and Branford Marsalis - they play their instruments (guitar, saxophones respectively) in the classical genre as well as their instruments "native" genre of folk or jazz.

Who was your first teacher? Other teachers?
My first (and only) private teacher was Francis Schaeffer (no, not the Christian theologian). I recall he also taught the flute and other woodwind instruments to my Japanese-American neighbors.

What are your fondest musical memories?
Hmm... when playing the flute in the high school orchestra (Salinas, CA) with the drama club (Peter and the Wolf), and another high school's drama/ballet club (The Nutcracker ballet), and for special occasions (a friend's wedding and Christmas caroling).

Do you get nervous during a performance?
Rarely do I get nervous during a performance. (I do recall one instance though, where "nervousness" was in the air/contagious and affected me also - a student recital at Ogura Flute Works.)

How do you handle mistakes?
I think I unconsciously smile or roll my eyes when I make a mistake. Hopefully, I do as Jean-Pierre Rampal did - recover/continue the music, and try to make it a part of the musical experience.

What advice would you give new flutists?
For new flutists, I would recommend lots of listening - whether of other flutists to hear how you might sound, or of your own (recorded) practicing and lessons to hear how you do sound. Then practicing how you should and want to sound.

What advice would you give new flute choir members?
For new flute choir members, I say relax! Hopefully you will come to enjoy producing good music for family and friends as we all do.

What do you practice? How often?
Practice? (Can I skip to the next question?)

How do you balance your music with other obligations - mate, children, job?
I devote a certain amount of time for music, as music is one of those integral/fundamental parts of life.

Is there anything else you'd like to add about the flute, flute choir...?
I appreciate this opportunity and privilege of playing the flute.

No comments:

Post a Comment