About us

Culver City Flute Choir is composed of adult amateur flutists. The conductor, Patty Sikorski, is a freelance musician and private teacher in Culver City, and she has been leading the flute choir for more than twenty years. Culver City is located near Los Angeles, California.

For information about the flute choir or to find out how to contact Patty Sikorski for booking or private lessons, please send an email to CCFC.Info@gmail.com.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Meet the flute choir: Sara

I've asked flute choir members to answer a few questions about themselves, so that our readers could get to know us a little better. Please allow me to introduce: Sara!

When and why did you start playing the flute?
In 2003 I was working as an elementary school principal and I read an article in the L A Times about a principal who started playing the cello with the school beginners. It seemed like a neat idea, so I checked with our school music teacher, rented a flute and got started. Sometimes (!) it was busy in the office and I would forget, so I asked the other flutists to pick me up. So these little fourth grade girls would come into the office and say to my secretary, "We're here to pick up Mrs. Fields for flute!" Everybody got a kick out of it.

When did you join the flute choir? Why?
I really enjoy ensemble playing and am friends with a couple of members. I had been to several flute choir concerts, but as an adult beginner I wasn't sure I could handle it. About a year ago I asked Patty and she suggested I give it a try.

Have you played in any other flute choirs or ensembles? 
No. 

Where else do (have) you perform(ed)? I belong to Delta Kappa Gamma, a society of women educators, and we put together a small chorus each year for our state convention. This year I played a flute part along with the chorus and piano, at one of the events.

Do you play any other instruments? 
I played a little folk guitar years ago as a young mom.

What are your other hobbies or interests? 
I'm a reader, love travel, attend concerts and opera performances. 

Is there any overlap between those things and music? 
Yes in my love of opera, musical theater and classical music.

Describe your family's musical interests and abilities. 
My sons played instruments in middle school/high school, my sister has played classical guitar, viola and cello. 

Does this inspire you? 
Sure! 

What else inspires you? 
 Other than music, the world of nature.

Who is your biggest fan? 
 My little granddaughter Violet.

Which famous musicians do you admire (doesn't have to be just flutists!)? 
Mozart, Bach, Puccini; Gustavo Dudamel; trumpeter Alison Balsam.

What was/is your favorite piece to perform? To listen to? 
I performed an excerpt from Handel's Messiah, which is one of my favorite pieces of music. Others: Mendelssohn's Octet, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, anything by Mozart or Puccini; Bizet's Carmen

Who were/are your flute teachers? 
Paul Witt and Andy Pascoe at the school. Privately, only Patty.

What are your fondest musical memories? 
Listening to recordings of show tunes with my parents, and attending chamber music concerts with my husband.

Do you get nervous during a performance?
 
Sure, but as a school principal I learned not to show it. 

How do you handle mistakes? 
Just go on.

What do you practice? 
Whatever I am working on from my lessons, plus flute choir music. 

How often? 
I have to take the 5th on this one. Safe to say, not as much as I should.

What advice would you give new flutists? 
Keep at it, it gets better. And definitely participate in ensemble lessons.

What advice would you give new flute choir members?
Pretty much the same as above. These are the stages I have gone through each term:
  • First sight reading - OMG I will never be able to play this thing
  • After sight reading all the music, triage - the pieces I'm pretty sure I will be able to play, and the ones I will never be able to play
  • After a couple of weeks of practice - hmm, these pieces sound pretty good; this one I can only play if the tempo is eight times slower than the composer intended
  • A week before - gradually getting more of the music into my fingers.
  • Then somehow at the performance, the mistakes don't show, the ensemble sounds good and it's a huge rush

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful inspiration..never too late to learn and enjoy something new !

    ReplyDelete