About us

Culver City Flute Choir is composed of adult amateur flutists. The conductor, Patty Sikorski, is a freelance musician and private teacher in Culver City, and she has been leading the flute choir for more than twenty years. Culver City is located near Los Angeles, California.

For information about the flute choir or to find out how to contact Patty Sikorski for booking or private lessons, please send an email to CCFC.Info@gmail.com.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Meet the flute choir: Sandy

When and why did you start playing the flute?
On my 50th birthday, I decided to "bite the bullet," so to speak. My first flute was $125.00.

My first teacher was Shelley Thomas (who played with the Joe Liggins group). In some schools where I lived, not all children were treated fairly when it came to playing certain instruments. Wind instruments, in particular. I was [determined] to have my own instrument. Sadly, this sort of stuff still exists. Anyway, I promised myself that before I died, I would own the best flute that my money could afford.

Have you played in any other flute choirs or ensembles? Where else do (have) you perform(ed)?
In 1989, I joined the Culver City Flute Choir, because I wanted a chance to prove myself that I could improve my ensemble skills.

Presently I am playing with Culver City Flute Choir, Sr. Orchestra at the Westside Jewish Community Center, Get Your Chops Back Flute Choir, and High Flutin'. In these groups, I have the opportunity to play my C flute, bass flute, alto flute, and sometimes my piccolo.

Do you play any other instruments?
My primary instrument is piano. My first piano, which barely worked, was given to my parents for me. It didn't take my parents a long time to hunt down a piano teacher. I remember that at age five, I played on this very old, upright piano. Because I was so talented, my parents thought that I deserved a better instrument, so my mother and I rode the public transportation to Grinnell Bros. downtown Detroit piano store. I was allowed to play on as many pianos as I wanted until I found one that I liked. One day when I got home from school, a brand new baby grand piano had been delivered. 61 years later, that same piano is still in our family. Today, my piano is a Baldwin 6000 Concert Vertical which I have maintained twice yearly. My new piano teacher is Nora Chiang.

From fourth grade through high school, I played double bass. Taking that instrument to music events was an adventure, to say the least. WHEW! I never stopped taking piano lessons.

Is your family musical? Describe your family's musical interests and abilities.
It's fair to say that although the total of eight of my brother and sisters took music lessons (violin, viola, cello, double bass, clarinet, trumpet, French horn), only two of us had a real passion to pursue our dreams: my brother, Ron Carter (Jazz Bassist), and I. When we were "little," he and I would perform on piano/cello duets.

Who is your biggest fan?
My family members are my great fans. My parents always sat proudly either in a concert hall setting, or in someone's living room, or wherever there was a piano, with their chests stuck out. They loved listening and watching me.

Which famous musicians do you admire (doesn't have to just be flutists!)? Why?
Obviously I admire my brother, Ron Carter. Anyone who can transition from being a classically trained cellist to jazz pro is amazing (at least in my book).

Do you get nervous during a performance?
Group performances don't make me nervous. Piano recitals make me nervous because I get so involved in what I am doing that I end up relying on my muscle memory to save me. I always want my performances to be perfect so I stress myself out. I learn my music so well that I manage to keep going, no matter what. Eventually, only the composer, my piano teacher and I know where the "hiccups" were.

How do you handle mistakes?
There's no magic in doing well: practice, practice, practice is the only key. Of course, finding a more than competent teacher is important.

What advice would you give new flute choir members?
Every flute member was NEW to the group, one at a time.

What do you practice? How often?
I practice my flute every day: scales, long tones, sight reading, orchestral excerpts for my warm ups. I spend no less than 2 hours a day. Since I am involved with four flute groups, I have lots of music to learn. On the piano, I practice hands and fingers strengthening, lots of technique, scales, sight reading, repertoire: no less than 3 hours daily.

I'm really strict about my piano practicing. From 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. daily, sometimes longer, depending upon what my recital demands are.

How do you balance your music with other obligations - mate, children, job?
It must be said that, I'm retired, thus fitting practice time into my days is easier now than it was when our children were little. I do however, need to do some balancing of my time, that's why I "hit the floor running" to the piano! I need to get that much out of the way (as it were). MY HUSBAND IS SUCH A GOOD SPORT... He understands my obsession, and enjoys the learning processes.

No comments:

Post a Comment