About us

Culver City Flute Choir is composed of adult amateur flutists. The conductor, Patty Sikorski, is a freelance musician and private teacher in Culver City, and she has been leading the flute choir for more than twenty years. Culver City is located near Los Angeles, California.

For information about the flute choir or to find out how to contact Patty Sikorski for booking or private lessons, please send an email to CCFC.Info@gmail.com.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A walking flutist needs your help!

I may have mentioned before that the reason I play the piccolo now is because back in high school I had a friend named Deb who encouraged and helped me with it, and I'm so glad she was there, because she made playing the flute and piccolo fun and exciting for me, especially when we hit the high notes in tune.

We were marching Centaurs together at Culver City Senior High School, and somewhere there's a photo of us both in our goofy band uniforms, but instead I'm just going to share one of Deb (I think she's in the 8th grade here), because today she's the star of this show:
 
That's Deb, right in the middle, holding a flute. Isn't she cute! This was before she unleashed her piccolo prowess on us (and way before she traded in her flutes for a saxophone, which we won't be discussing today!).

(Or, Deb, is that a metal picc and I'm just blind?)

So what will we be discussing today?

Deb has signed up for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk for a Cure. She'll be walking November 19-21 in San Diego, and yes, you read that right: 3 days of walking, 60 miles total.

She's doing it to honor her friends and family who have struggled with cancer, and she's doing it because she has a huge heart and because she cares.

She's been hard at work training and fundraising and raising her young family, and I can't think of a much better cause than this. You all know how personally cancer has affected my life, and I know I'm not the only one.

If you would like to support Deb, a former flutist (and believe me, I'd love to remove that "former" from this description! Deb, you're amazing!) in her walk, you can visit her web page and make a donation.

Thanks for reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment