About us

Culver City Flute Choir is composed of adult amateur flutists. The conductor, Patty Sikorski, is a freelance musician and private teacher in Culver City, and she has been leading the flute choir for more than twenty years. Culver City is located near Los Angeles, California.

For information about the flute choir or to find out how to contact Patty Sikorski for booking or private lessons, please send an email to CCFC.Info@gmail.com.

Monday, August 3, 2009

Flute convention 2009: New York!

I'm not going to the flute convention this year. I've been to many of them in the past! This year it's in New York, and as exciting as New York is (I love it there!), it just didn't work out. Also, as much as I love both the flute convention and New York, it didn't seem fair to leave Patrick at home while I make yet another solo trip there. I want us to go together. Next year's convention is scheduled for Anaheim, which is much closer to home (no hotel room required!), and I intend to drag him to at least one evening's concert.

The convention begins next Thursday, August 13. Are you going? If so, what are you interested in seeing/hearing/playing? I've been checking out the schedule of events (the NFA posts the schedule on their website, which you can access via the right side -->), and these are the things I would be looking forward to:
  • United States Military Academy Band at West Point - lecture and recital. I love military bands!
  • Gary Schocker - Showcase. Gary and his socks are always entertaining; he's a great performer. I've played a few of his flute duets: challenging and fun.
  • Workshop (and the next day, a concert) with (hunky) Ian Clarke. Ian Clarke was the heartthrob for me in San Diego. We saw him play at the Friday night concert and I fell in love (with his music, of course). I talked with him the next day in the exhibit hall, where he attempted to teach me something, and I promptly forgot how to play an "A." I am such a dork. Later, with my own flute, I went to a workshop he gave on advanced techniques where I hopefully demonstrated my ability to actually play notes.
  • Performance by Carol Wincenc - she's beautiful and thrilling to see. I love her playing.
  • Trevor Wye's performance of "50 Variations on the Carnival of Venice" for 60 flutes, which I've seen 2 or 3 times already. He's amazing.
  • New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art will host a special presentation August 14 at 2:30 p.m. for convention attendees. The museum’s musical instrument collection is closed during August due to roof repairs, but flutes will be taken out of storage for this private showing by Associate Curator Herbert Heyde. - This sounds fun and interesting.
  • Make history! Join Sir James Galway and the NFA in an attempt to break the Guinness World Record™ for World’s Largest Flute Ensemble! Let’s shatter the world record of 1,701 participants, set in Tuebingen, Germany, on December 22, 2007. In commemoration of his 70th birthday this year, Sir James commissioned a medley of his favorite works, including “Danny Boy,” to be performed at the event. - This sounds like a lot of fun! I downloaded the music (if I were going, I'd be on flute IV). Maybe those of us not going to the convention can get together and have a little quartet on this one.
  • Friday Gala concert: I always look forward to these concerts; Paul Edmund-Davies is one of the performers. I just did "The Emperor and the Bird of Paradise," which was composed for him by Alan Ridout, at City Garage a couple of weeks ago, and I've heard him play before. He's great. They usually post the actual programs for the concerts in the schedule you receive at the convention; the online listing (so far) doesn't show what pieces will be played. I'm pretty sure he won't do "The Emperor and the Bird of Paradise," but it would be nice to hear him play anything. He'll also be in recital the next day.
  • James Galway will be featured at the Saturday Gala concert, which should be exciting.
  • On Saturday, there will be a concert called "New York, Electrified," which features flute duos with electronics. Sounds intriguing!

Anyway, this is just what caught my eye for Thursday, Friday and some of Saturday! There are lots of flute choir showcases, workshops, recitals that are too numerous to list here. And of course the exhibit hall is always fun and a great way to pass the time in between events. I'd head straight for the Powell booth and play as many expensive and beautiful flutes and piccolos I could get my hands on.

Even though I'm not going, I'm starting to get excited for my friends who are! I hope some of you send some reports or photos to share with the rest of us. Meanwhile, I'll start saving up for next year...

1 comment:

  1. I am looking forward to the convention this year!!! NFA convention is basically my only vacation every year!

    ReplyDelete